: Quotes on Education

moonshadow
0 29th July 2009, 01:0:55 AM
Quotes on Education

I suspect that many children would learn arithmetic, and learn it better, if it were illegal
John Holt

Education is a progressive discovery of our ignorance.

Will Durant

We are shut up in schools and college recitation rooms for ten or fifteen years, and come out at last with a bellyful of words and do not know a thing.
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) U.S. essayist and poet

The object of teaching a child is to enable him to get along without a teacher.

Elbert Hubbard

Test givers across the country dehumanize millions of children by focusing on scores and percentiles instead of on their rich and complex lives

Thomas Armstrong

We don't have to make human beings smart. They are born smart. All we have to do is stop doing the things that made them stupid

John Holt

The principal goal of education is to create men who are capable of doing new things, not simply of repeating what other generations have done.
Jean Piaget (1896-1980) Swiss cognitive psychologist

The result of the educative process is capacity for further education.
John Dewey (1859-1952) U.S. philosopher and educator

I didnt belong as a kid, and that always bothered me. If only Id known that one day my differences would be an asset.
Bette Midler

In a school or a classroom community, if our values are clear and if we meet children's basic human needs for autonomy, belonging, and competence, then our values will become their values.

Marilyn Watson

A teacher who can arouse a feeling for one single good action, for one single good poem, accomplishes more than he who fills our memory with rows and rows of natural objects, classified with name and form
Goethe

Ideal teachers are those who use themselves as bridges over which they invite their students to cross, then having facilitated their crossing, joyfully collapse, encouraging them to create bridges of their own

Nikos Kazantzakis

Once children learn how to learn, nothing is going to narrow their mind. The essence of teaching is to make learning contagious, to have one idea spark another

Marva Collins

Good teaching is more a giving of right questions than a giving of right answers

Josef Albers

Much education today is monumentally ineffective. All too often we are giving young people cut flowers when we should be teaching them to grow their own plants

John Gardner

The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind

Kahlil Gibran

Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire

William Butler Yeats

The greatest sign of a success for a teacher...is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist

Maria Montessori

One looks back with appreciation to the brilliant teachers, but with gratitude to those who touched our human feelings. The curriculum is so much necessary material, but warmth is the vital element for the growing plant and for the soul of the child

Carl Jung

A hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much money I had in the bank...but the world may be a better place because I made a difference in the life of a child

Forest Witchcraft

Education would be much more effective if its purpose was to ensure that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how much they do not know and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it."

William Haley

Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
Benjamin Franklin

To help kids engage in such reflection , we have to work with them rather than doing things to them. We have to bring them in on the process of making decisions about their learning and their lives together in the classroom. Children learn to make good choices by having the chance to choose, not by following directions.

George Leonard described lecturing as the best way to get information from teachers notebook to students notebook without touching the students mind.)

They know enough who know how to learn.

Henry B. Adams

How many thinkers and creative spirits are wasted,how much brain power goes down the drain because of our archaic, insular notions of brain and education?The numbers are undoubtedly horrendous
J. Houston

'......teaching is nothing like the art of painting, where,
by the addition of material to a surface, an image is
synthetically produced, but more like the art of sculpture,
where, by the subtraction of material,an image already
locked in the stone is enabled to emerge....'John Gatto

'If we taught children to speak,they'd never learn'

Bill Hull

'Childhood has its on way of seeing,thinking,and feeling,
and nothing is more foolish than to try to substitute ours
for theirs'

Rousseau

Schools are intended to produce
, through the application of formulas,

formulaic human beings whose behavior can be predicted and controlled

J. T . Gatto

In one definition, a skilled teacher is a person who can open a number of different windows on the same concept
H. Gardner

The primary purpose of a liberal education is to make ones mind a pleasant place in which to spend ones leisure.

Sydney J. Harris

But I saw enough to make me feel that if arithmetic were treated as in fact what it is-a territory to be explored, not a list of facts to be learned-children, at least many children, would move into it faster than we would have dreamed possible
J. Holt

Becoming a whole human being is the most important aspect of learning

Thomas Armstrong

We have failed to appreciate that in nearly every student there is a five-year-old unschooled mind struggling to get out and express itself
Howard Gardner

A boy must see and believe that emotions belong in the life of a man

from Raising Cain

A person too anxious about being shamed cannot learn

All education springs from some image of the future. If the image of the future held by a society is grossly inaccurate, its education system will betray its youth

Alvin Toffler

Narration (with the teacher as narrator) leads the students to memorize mechanically the narrated *******. Worse yet, it turns them into containers, into receptacles to be filled by the teacher. The more completely she fills the receptacles, the better a teacher she is. The more meekly the receptacles permit themselves to be filled, the better students they are.

Paulo Freire

Education thus becomes an act of depositing, in which the students are the depositories and the teacher is the depositor. Instead of communicating, the teacher issues communiques and makes deposits which the students patiently receive, memorize, and repeat. This is the banking concept of education, in which the scope of action allowed to the students extends only as far as receiving, filing, and storing the deposits

Paulo Freire

It is not surprising that the banking concept of education regards men as adaptable, manageable beings. The more students work at storing the deposits entrusted to them, the less they develop the critical consciousness which would result from their intervention in the world as transformers of that world. The more completely they accept the passive role imposed on them, the more they tend simply to adapt to the world as it is and to the fragmented view of reality deposited in them

Paulo Freire

I remember that I was never able to get along at school. I was always at the foot of the class.

Thomas Edison,

School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human existence

H.L. Mencken

[Schools:] vast factories for the manufacture of robots

Robert Lindner

Show me the man who has enjoyed his schooldays and I will show you a bully and a bore.
Robert Morley, Robert Morley: Responsible Gentleman (1966)

Education, the great mumbo jumbo and fraud of the age purports to equip us to live and is prescribed as a universal remedy for everything from juvenile delinquency to premature senility

Malcolm Muggeridge,

Rejection of the classroom is an international phenomenon and has little to do with whether the schools are public or private, secular or clerical, or with the philosophy of teaching employed in the various schools.

Victor Goertzel and Mildred George Goertzel Cradles of Eminence (1962)

Teaching means different things in different places, but seven lessons are universally taught from Harlem to Hollywood Hills. They constitute a national curriculum you pay for in more ways than you can imagine, so you might as well know what it is. . . . 1. Confusion. 2. Class Position. 3. Indifference. 4. Emotional Dependency. 5. Intellectual Dependency. 6. Provisional Self-Esteem. 7. One Can't Hide. . . . It is the great triumph of compulsory government monopoly mass-schooling that among even the best of my fellow teachers, and among even the best of my students' parents, only a small number can imagine a different way to do things.

John Taylor Gatto

Children do not learn things because they are fun,but because they enable them to accomplish ends,and they learn in the process of accomplishing those ends

Frank Smith

But lets face it: Its easier to concern yourself with teaching than with learning, just as its more convenient to say the fault lies with people other than you when things go wrong. Its tempting, when students are given some kind of assessment, to assume the results primarily reveal how much progress each kid is, or isnt, making rather than noticing that the quality of the teaching is also being assessed

Alfie Kohn

[School] forcibly snatches away children from a world full of the mystery of God's own handiwork, full of the suggestiveness of personality. It is a mere method of discipline which refuses to take into account the individual. It is a manufactory specially designed for grinding out uniform results. It follows an imaginary straight line of the average in digging its channel of education. But life's line is not the straight line, for it is fond of playing the see-saw with the line of the average, bringing upon its head the rebuke of the school. For according to the school life is perfect when it allows itself to be treated as dead, to be cut into symmetrical conveniences. And this was the cause of my suffering when I was sent to school. . .

Rabindranath Tagore
winner of the 1913 Nobel Prize in literature

. . . and there is, on the whole, nothing on earth intended for innocent people so horrible as a school. To begin with, it is a prison. But it is in some respects more cruel than a prison. In a prison, for instance, you are not forced to read books written by the warders (who of course would not be warders and governors if they could write readable books), and beaten or otherwise tormented if you cannot remember their utterly unmemorable *******s. In the prison you are not forced to sit listening to the turnkeys discoursing without charm or interest on subjects that they don't understand and don't care about, and are therefore incapable of making you understand or care about. In a prison they may torture your body; but they do not torture your brains; and they protect you against violence and outrage from your fellow-prisoners. In a school you have none of these advantages. With the world's book****ves loaded with fascinating and inspired books, the very manna sent down from Heaven to feed your souls, you are forced to read a hideous imposture called a school book, written by a man who cannot write: A book from which no human can learn anything: a book which, though you may decipher it, you cannot in any fruitful sense read, though the enforced attempt will make you loathe the sight of a book all the rest of your life.

George Bernard Shaw
winner of the 1925 Nobel Prize in literature

I hated school so intensely. It interfered with my freedom. I avoided the discipline by an elaborate technique of being absent-minded during classes.

Sigrid Undset
winner of the 1928 Nobel Prize in literature

In schools, teachers are more concerned with right and wrong answers than with how students get these answers

Learning is not the product of teaching.Learning is the product of the activity of learners

Grace Llewellyn

Schools blame victims.In other words, they inflict all manner of nasty experience and expectations on you, and then tell you(the student) it's your fault for not liking it.They blame you for their problems
Grace Llewellyn

Children learn through what they do rather than doing things as a result of what they know

Frank Smith

It is the teacher's responsibility to be comprehensible, not the student's to comprehend

Frank Smith
Accordingly, educational systems teach a high tolerance for boredom and routine work) class material), a dependence on external motivation(grades), a habit of fear driven behavior(10 percent of every class must get Fs).Those children who aren't able to cope with the boredom, stress, and humiliation get labelled as either having learning disabilities (and it's not yet clear how many disabilities are system-caused) or unruly personalities which usually legitimizes forced drugging :take Ritalin or get out of the classroom
from The Paradigm Conspiracy

The more students are controlled, the more they come to need control and the less they have the chance to take responsibility for their own learning and behavior
Alfie kohn

Just as iron rusts from disuse,even so does inaction spoil the intellect

Leonardo Da Vinci

The hardest problem for the brain is not learning, but forgetting. No matter how hard we try, we can't deliberately forget something we have learned, and that is catastrophic if we learn that we can't learn

Frank Smith
It seems to me that children dig themselves foxholes in school, that their fumbling incompetence is in many
ways
comparable to the psychoneurotic reactions of men who have
been under too great a stress for too long.....There are
very few children who do not feel, during most of the time
they are in school, an amount of fear ,anxiety, and tension
that most adults would find intolerable. It is no
coincidence at all that in many of their worst nightmares
adults find themselves back in school.

John Holt

Once your brain is convinced that a language-generated belief or habit is necessary for successful survival,that belief will always be prioritized by your brain above all new incomong information.This will be true even if the new information conflicts with the original survival belief and is intended to replace the original input
Deborah Sunbeck

But we have missed a most fundamental and mysterious aspect of the mind:learning,thought,creativity,and intelligence are not the process of the brain alone,but of the whole body
Carla Hannaford

Learners who have been on a reward system will become conditioned to prefer it over free choice
Eric Jensen

moonshadow
0 29th July 2009, 01:0:36 AM

Grades are the kiss of death;they stigmatize an activity as a pointless educational ritual,worth doing only for the sake of the grade itself
Frank Smith

Collaboration empowers students;instruction leaves them dependent

Frank Smith

The teachers who get "burned out" are not the ones who are constantly learning,which can be exhilarating,but those who feel they must stay in control and ahead of the students at all times
Frank Smith

Many children in our culture have abilities that put them at a disadvantage in the classroom but may be just what we need if our planet is to survive

Thomas Armstrong

Once I drew like Raphael,but it has taken me a whole lifetime to learn to draw like
children
-Picaso

Once a little boy went to school.
He was quite a little boy
And it was quite a big school.
But when the little boy
Found that he could go to his room
By walking right in from the door outside
He was happy;
And the school did not seem
Quite so big anymore.

One morning
When the little boy had been in school awhile,
The teacher said:
"Today we are going to make a picture."
"Good!" thought the little boy.
He liked to make all kinds;
Lions and tigers,
Chickens and cows,
Trains and boats;
And he took out his box of crayons
And began to draw.

But the teacher said, "Wait!"
"It is not time to begin!"
And she waited until everyone looked ready.
"Now," said the teacher,
"We are going to make flowers."
"Good!" thought the little boy,
He liked to make beautiful ones
With his pink and orange and blue crayons.
But the teacher said "Wait!"
"And I will show you how."
And it was red, with a green stem.
"There," said the teacher,
"Now you may begin."

The little boy looked at his teacher's flower
Then he looked at his own flower.
He liked his flower better than the teacher's
But he did not say this.
He just turned his paper over,
And made a flower like the teacher's.
It was red, with a green stem.

On another day
When the little boy had opened
The door from the outside all by himself,
The teacher said:
"Today we are going to make something with clay."
"Good!" thought the little boy;
He liked clay.
He could make all kinds of things with clay:
Snakes and snowmen,
Elephants and mice,
Cars and trucks
And he began to pull and pinch
His ball of clay.

But the teacher said, "Wait!"
"It is not time to begin!"
And she waited until everyone looked ready.
"Now," said the teacher,
"We are going to make a dish."
"Good!" thought the little boy,
He liked to make dishes.
And he began to make some
That were all shapes and sizes.

But the teacher said "Wait!"
"And I will show you how."
And she showed everyone how to make
One deep dish.
"There," said the teacher,
"Now you may begin."

The little boy looked at the teacher's dish;
Then he looked at his own.
He liked his better than the teacher's
But he did not say this.
He just rolled his clay into a big ball again
And made a dish like the teacher's.
It was a deep dish.

And pretty soon
The little boy learned to wait,
And to watch
And to make things just like the teacher.
And pretty soon
He didn't make things of his own anymore.

Then it happened
That the little boy and his family
Moved to another house,
In another city,
And the little boy
Had to go to another school.
This school was even bigger
Than the other one.
And there was no door from the outside
Into his room.
He had to go up some big steps
And walk down a long hall
To get to his room.
And the very first day
He was there,
The teacher said:
"Today we are going to make a picture."
"Good!" thought the little boy.
And he waited for the teacher
To tell what to do.
But the teacher didn't say anything.
She just walked around the room.

When she came to the little boy
She asked, "Don't you want to make a picture?"
"Yes," said the lttle boy.
"What are we going to make?"
"I don't know until you make it," said the teacher.
"How shall I make it?" asked the little boy.
"Why, anyway you like," said the teacher.
"And any color?" asked the little boy.
"Any color," said the teacher.
"If everyone made the same picture,
And used the same colors,
How would I know who made what,
And which was which?"
"I don't know," said the little boy.
.And he began to make pink and orange and blue flowers.

He liked his new school,
Even if it didn't have a door
Right in from the outside
Helen Buckley

Childhood has its own way of seeing,thinking,and feeling, and nothing is more foolish than to try to substitute ours for theirs
Rousseau

moonshadow
0 29th July 2009, 01:0:54 AM

I have discovered few learning disabled students in my three decades of teaching. I have, however, discovered many, many victims of teaching inabilities

Marva Collins

The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity

Dorothy Parker

To control and sort young people for the sake of institutional efficiency is to crush the human spirit

Ron Miller

The one real object of education is to have a man in the condition of continually asking questions

Mandell Creighton

An education isnt how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. Its being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you dont

Anatole France

The important thing is not to stop questioning

Albert Einstein

If we taught babies to talk as most skills are taught in school, they would memorize lists of sounds in a predetermined order and practice them alone in a closet

Linda Darling-Hammond

It is not what we teach;it is what they learn

Alfie Kohn

The world our kids are going to live in is changing four times faster than our schools

Willard Daggett

0 30th July 2009, 01:0:41 AM
Magnificent

This is sOoOoO brilliant of you MoOn ShAdOw

0 02nd August 2009, 10:0:10 AM
شكرا لك يا ظل القمر على هذا المجهود الرائع وجمع هذا الكم من اقوال العلماء

دمت بنقاء

0 03rd August 2009, 02:0:14 PM
:th1 (149):

:thau:

:th1 (62):

0 12th August 2009, 01:0:35 AM

We don't have to make human beings smart.
They are born smart. All we have to do is stop doing the things that made them stupid

moonshadow

0 18th August 2009, 08:0:36 AM
للمشاهير والعظماء عبارات وكلمات من وحي الخبرة والشهرة في مختلف مناحي الحياة،

وقال المتنبي:
تَعلَّمْ فَلَيْسَ المرْءُ يُولدُ عالـمًا وَلَيْسَ أخو عِلْمٍ كمَنْ هُوَ جاهِلُ
فإنَّ كبيرَ القومِ لا عِلْـمَ عندَه صَغيرٌ إذا التفَّتْ عليه الجَـحافِلُ
وإنَّ صَغيرَ القوْمِ إنْ كانَ عالمًا كَبيرٌ إذا رُدَّتْ إِلَيْه المَـحـافِلُ

Thank you very much

moonshadow
0 04th September 2009, 10:0:52 PM